Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Kindred Spirit : Erica Nanno

Erica innocently entered into my life when she hearted my etsy shop. Little did she know I would be asking her to be a kindred spirit on my blog, but little did I know at that time either! I love Erica's work. I love her interpretation of the flowers she makes. Her color choice is cheerful and her designs are simple yet show thought and sophistication. So, enough with my waxing poetic, here is Erica in her own words:

My name is Erica Nanno. Actually it's Masayo Erica Nanno, but when I was younger, people could never pronounce it, so I grew to hate it! But now I don't mind it so much. I'm 23 years old, and I was born in San Diego, California. I live with my boyfriend of 4 years in his home state of Texas. We met while going to school at the University of Hawaii at Hilo on the big island. It was the most memorable 9 months of my life... so far! I plan to go back to school this fall, and major in Fashion. I was going to pursue graphic design, because I love art, and I've always loved to paint and draw, but I knew I wouldn't be completely happy sitting on a computer. I'm definitely a hands on person! I think that is why I fell in love with sewing. While in high school, I would make little pillows and pillow cases with this dinky sewing machine that my mom's friend gave me. It was probably 20 bucks at some thrift store. It lasted a long time though! I miss that thing... haha! Anyway, when I moved here to Texas, I discovered felt. I'd make small camera cases, ipod cases and pouches. Everywhere I went, I'd take a small cardboard box full of them and try to sell 'em! Even when I went to our local bar, I'd take it. I had a few sells here and there, but I knew I had to expand myself somewhere! My friend told me about Etsy, and the rest is history!

Everything I sell on Etsy is floral. Lately I have been into making brooches. But I also make pouches, head bands, and hair pins. I definitely want to branch out and make pillows, t-shirts, scrapbook pieces, etc! My friend and I want to someday own our own business. She loves furniture and all that goes with it. She's outgoing, and I'm pretty shy, so I know she could handle the promoting side of it, and we both could crank out the products! So we would be a great team. We both want to be surrounded by something artistic and unique. I mean, we are young, so what do we have to lose? I know that I will be doing this for the rest of my life, even if things don't go as planned.

I haven't been to school since 2005, so I have had a lot of time to do what I please. I really think without that time, I wouldn't have discovered this craft that is so much part of my life now. I always thought that I was wasting time, not getting an education, but really, I was educating myself in what I will be doing the rest of my life!

I love theoretical questions so I asked Erica which 5 people(alive or dead) she would invite to her place for dinner and what she would serve them.

I would invite...

Georgia O'keeffe
John Lennon
My grandpa
Bill Murray
Gene Kelly

I would probably try to impress, and pick something fancy lookin' from a french cook book.

I hope you enjoyed getting to know Erica as much as I did and will visit her shop, nanno.etsy.com
. You may just find something you can't live without. I know I did!

Thank You Erica!<3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love your flowers, so much. i'll have to check out your etsy store....