Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Train Wrecks and Natural Disasters


"Every happening, great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us, and the art of life is to get the message." ~Malcolm Muggeridge

I have a friend who is a rubbernecker. You know the one that enjoys watching televised surgical procedures on cable TV and drives slowly past car accidents hoping to see the devastation up close and in person. I've always found it rather odd since I am the opposite. Seeing people in pain affects me deeply to the core. I literally feel other people's pain, physical or emotional. It is very difficult for me to go to hospitals and funerals because I am so sensitive.

And yet, I am drawn to natural disasters. They scare the hell out of me. Tsunamis and tornadoes in particular scare me the most (the later due to the Wizard of Oz, I'm sure).I hate to see the devastation and yet I can't stop watching the coverage. I feel helpless, because I am. Let's face it, we all are, I don't care who you are and how much money or power you have, you can't win against Mother Nature. You can mitigate the damage perhaps and overcome the setbacks but you can't beat her.

The sheer power behind these disasters fascinate me. How the earth can just suddenly heave up without notice and destroy lives and communities is mind blowing. Perhaps the only reason I can watch the footage of the devastation is because we are detached, you don't directly see the lives of the people impacted. But I know they are there. As soon as I hear of something like the earthquake in Japan, I immediately start sending prayers and healing energy to the areas affected. ( and I usually shed a few tears because I can feel the intense pain of the people) Of course, I also send a prayer when I pass an ambulance or police car en route to a call. I wouldn't follow them to see what happened though and rarely follow up to see what happened.

I am fascinated with the science behind natural disasters. How the earth causes earthquakes or tsunamis is fascinating, even the immense devastation of it's power and yet the devastation it leaves behind is heartbreaking.There is no way you can prevent being involved in a natural disaster, it occurs where it occurs and God bless you if that happens to be where you are. I often wish you could harness Mother Earth's power and direct it to the political and corporate powers that cause so much havoc and unrest instead of the residents of earth that are just living their lives the best they can. It seems rather unfair sometimes.

I must have a superhero complex. I guess Mother Nature is the ultimate power, more powerful than any politician or corporate mogul could ever be.

I woke up this morning and heard the news of the catastrophic earthquake that hit Japan. It was 4 am and I haven't slept much since. I was glued to the news and now to the internet. I wish there was something more I could do but, alas, I am half a world away. The most I can do is say that my prayers and healing thoughts are with the people of Japan and any others that have been or will be affected by the earthquake and ensuing tsunamis. May God Bless and hold them in his hands through this difficult time.


"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when He is silent." ~Author Unknown

No comments: