Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Made in the USA or Why I Buy Vintage.

My 'new' butter dish
I won't get all political but it seems to me that lately the US corporations and politicians don't care much about what happens to our economy. That said, I realized that you can't buy a damn thing in the states that is actually made here and not imported. At least new products. I'm sure that's not completely true but, far and away, a product made in the States is the exception and not the rule. Is it any wonder why our economy is in the crapper?

So what is a girl to do?

Buy vintage of course! I don't need many things but every now and again I find I'm in need of something. Recently, I found I could really use a butter dish. It would have been so easy to hop into the car and drive up to Target or Bed Bath and Beyond but instead I perused ebay and etsy. And low and behold found a super cute butter dish from the late 60's early 70's in mint condition for (most likely) less than what I would have found at the local stores. The nicest things about it is that our money went directly to another American citizen for a well made in the USA, albeit vintage, product.

Doesn't always work, try finding a toaster, TV or computer made in the USA of US parts, but when it does it is a very good thing :o)



No comments: