Carrot Pineapple Cake[I know my little one will eat cake but getting him to eat veggies is a little more difficult, thus the carrot cake for Easter! I am putting the original recipe and in parentheses my changes. Either way you fix it, I know it will be yummy!]
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (1cup whole wheat flour + 1cup all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves)
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar (1 1/2 cups sugar)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots (1 pound organic carrots, about 8 carrots)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts ( toasted on stove top before adding)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.(I used a Nordicware 3D bunny pan and followed their baking instructions. This way, the recipe yielded one bunny cake and 12 cupcakes)
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple.
- Pour into 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Don't panic, the center will sink a little. Allow to cool.
When cake is cool, process cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla in clean food processor work bowl until combined, about
5 seconds, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add confectioners' sugar and process until smooth, about 10 seconds.
(Cover leftovers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.)