Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Personal Inspiration- Part 3- Liza Lou

I don't know how many people have heard of Liza Lou. She is an artist who does life-sized installation art pieces that are completely covered in glass beads. Yes, that's right GLASS BEADS!! It is amazing to see in person. I was lucky enough to see an exhibition of her work back in the 90's when she first really *hit the scene*. She now is doing more political pieces but then they were more kitschy commentary on American life. These are some of my favorites.

( by the way, ever since I saw this exhibition (15 years ago?) I have had the vision for a Christmas tree made completely out of glass beads. have thought about contacting Darice to see if I could buy the beads I need at wholesale but that's as far as I have got on the execution of my vision. The time commitment is what really stalls my desire but after looking at these photos again, I realize I still want to execute it. I'll keep you posted:o)






4 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw this exhibit when it was at the Akron Art Exhibit and just loved it. I also really like the fact that she used her art as an opportunity to gather the community for a creative purpose. She had people from her community help string all the beads she needed to use to cover all of these lifesize times. Thanks for sharing! Jane P

elf said...

Lynne Sarah and I went to see it in Akron too. I had thought she enlisted the community but I couldn't remember how far it went. She is now in South Africa and is doing the same thing. Here is a very interesting article on her: http://www.wmagazine.com/artdesign/2008/09/liza_lou?currentPage=1
:o) Kelly

Anonymous said...

We studied her work back in college, but I've never seen it in person. Must be amazing!

Joanne Olivieri said...

I have not heard of her but these art pieces are just amazing, Wow! What a talented artist, I'm going to have to check her out. Fantastic photos.