Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Ah...Technology! (and a Gingerbread Train)

All my shows are done for the year and the selling season is winding down. I have thought a lot about the direction I want to go with my business and will share those thoughts in another post after the holiday. In the meantime, I am jockeying between 2 laptops, my 2 1/2 year old HP and my husband's refurbished (and archaic) Dell. My lovely little machine decided it did not like connecting wirelessly to the Internet but the Dell doesn't have the capabilities to read my memory cards so in order to post anything with photos I have to upload my photos to my HP machine and then copy the photos to a USB thumb drive so that I will have access to my photos on the machine that doesn't have issues with the Internet. To make things even more challenging, my husband has Linux on the Dell machine(which I must admit I like much better than Windows Vista but it does add a layer of complexity to doing anything). I know my laptop is on it's last leg, you just know these things. I will never get another HP, I don't believe in disposable products and it seems that if a laptop only has a 2 1/2 year life span it is just that, disposable. It wasn't cheap either. I knew it would be the only machine I would have (my mother gave it to me as my 40th birthday gift) and so I took extremely good care of it and still it didn't hold up. The next laptop will be something inexpensive and basic then if it lives past 2 1/2 years, I will feel blessed.

Anyway, I thought I would share a few photos of our holiday preparations. This year we made a Gingerbread train from a kit. It was great, easy and fun. I think this will become a yearly event! I'm torn between doing it myself and buying a kit. The kit was super easy and the result was good(although the tray you build it in made the wheels sit too high especially on the caboose. Now I know that the whole thing can be taken out of the tray before decorating though.(it needs to dry for an entire day for the icing to set enough to get it out) I think another year or two of prefab kits may be the best idea for us, it'll get us used to the process and by then G will be old enough to help a little more with the construction. I would love to design something myself but I think I need more experience building in gingerbread before I would be able to execute it (calmly!) Overall, I was pretty happy with our train.

Note: Plenty of coffee and play dough are essential for building a gingerbread train with a 3 year old :o)




Up Next: Halls decked!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! So sorry to hear about your computer troubles. It's so sucky when we're used to spending so long on the internet and then suddenly something isn't working. Ek. Have you thought about a refurbished mac? Our macs are wonderful...have lasted and lasted. Refurbished ones can help cut down on the cost and I've never heard a complaint about them.